We would like to share our three week EPIC cycling ADVENTURE of over 1500 miles from Fort Collins, Colorado to Carnation, Washington with you. We leave August 29th and arrive in Carnation on Monday, September 22.

Thursday, August 28, 2008

We Made It - Tomorrow Will Be EPIC

We've all arrived in Fort Collins. My flight was flawless. We found out that our first day tomorrow is a long (varied reports put it somewhere between 30-50 miles) up hill. Oh my! Pray for us as we begin the Epic Adventure. The ride is up through a very beautiful canyon and we have all day so we'll enjoy the view. Hopefully I'll put up a picture or two tomorrow. We're starting from Colorado State at around 9 am. I need to get all my gear ready. The red rocket is in the room.

4 comments:

campbells said...

A long climb on the first day - what could be better! Maybe some nice rain and cold? Since I'm not there I assume you had perfect weather! Scott

carol said...

We're all anxiously waiting how that 50 mile hill worked for you!

carol said...

Epic:
1.noting or pertaining to a long poetic composition, usually centered upon a hero, in which a series of great achievements or events is narrated in elevated style

2.resembling or suggesting such poetry: e.g. an epic novel of the founding of the country

3.heroic; majestic;impressively great: e.g. the epic events of the war

Well, I suppose in this case your use of the word "epic" would most closely resemble the third definition.

However, I will try my hand at the (potentially) first installment of an epic poem.

Here goes:

Listen, my children, and you shall hear of the epic ride of those who know no fear.

They planned and they planned and they almost faltered, but with courage they pressed on, their plans were not altered.

With Barack Obama, they almost shared space, but the lure to ride drew them away with haste.

The first day was a challenge, they ignored feelings of dread. By the end of the day their legs felt like lead.

(With apologies to Henry Wadsworth Longfellow)

Jenny said...

That's the way to start a bike ride! The rest is all down hill, right?!!! Have fun!
The Oltmanns