We would like to share our three week EPIC cycling ADVENTURE of over 1500 miles from Fort Collins, Colorado to Carnation, Washington with you. We leave August 29th and arrive in Carnation on Monday, September 22.

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Stage 3 - Riverside to Rawlins




Pictures of the day:

Terry's birthday picture. It was after riding on the freeway. Can you see the grass laying down flat?

The second picture taken by Rhett was of the three of us on the on ramp to I-80.

Since our last post we (Steve) wanted to tell you briefly about the "redneck" wedding at Lazy Acres Campground where we were staying last night. We knew it might be a little different since there were about 50 ATV's in the campground and the reception was under a "moose hunting" tent. They didn't get too rowdy until after I had put in my ear plugs for the night. However, Terry reports a rather raucous fight with many adjectives flying from a couple that I cannot publish here. We're hoping it was not the newlyweds because they were to be off to Laramie for their honeymoon. One more thing, Rhett speculated that there were more guns in the campground than guests. It is Wyoming after all.

It blows in Wyoming! Thankfully the first forty miles was a stiff tail wind. We averaged between 21-22 mph. We had lunch at a rundown freeway stop-n-rob (Steve's term). Unfortunately, from there we entered the on ramp to the only road, interstate 80, and rode with the traffic . Let me just say, this was not Terry's favorite part of the ride so far. In fact, even though she may not admit it, she was muttering the adjectives she had learned from the night before. We rode into a stiff headwind and had very large semis whizzing by at 80 mph. Not too much fun . . . see urban legend from an earlier post (first day).

We might have more later after Terry's birthday dinner. We're going out to celebrate!!

5 comments:

Carrie said...

OMG - On the freeway you guys are nuts but I guess if that is the only path then you have to do it.

Happy Happy Birthday Terry!!! 29 years young again right?

Take care and keep on peddlin!!!

Jenny said...

To my friend on her birthday.
You are truly an amazing woman! An inspiration to all who know you! I hope that your birthday celebration is wonderful! Know that we are saying a birthday prayer for you and many prayers for all of you for a safe trip home! Ride the like the wind and may all the wind be tail winds!

The Oltmanns

campbells said...

Happy Birthday Terry! How nice of Tim to give you an extra 12 miles for your birthday!

After reading about the first 3 days, I think if I join you guys I'll need a motor on my bike to keep up!

carol said...

Terry,
What an amazing way to spend your birthday!
Please know that we are praying for your safety.

Well, here are a few more verses of this silly poem:

The road was long and rose into the sky. Tim thought to himself, "I'll surely die!"

40 miles of tail wind was a sweet reward, but Terry's I-80 birthday ride was not to be ignored.

May the intrepid five banish their fear as the ghost town of Jeffrey City looms near!

That's it for now!

Unknown said...

I can't believe my parents have a blog...I also can't believe I missed this trip!!